Sullivan County Announces Welfare Fraud Arrests
LIBERTY – Continuing its multi-agency efforts to root out waste, fraud and abuse of local social services, the Sullivan County Welfare Fraud Task Force announces the following arrests:
- Christina Frankenberg, 41, of Roscoe was arrested on Nov. 21 and charged with the Class D Felony of Welfare Fraud 3rd, Class E Felony of Welfare Fraud 4th, and Class E Felony of Offering a False Instrument for Filing 1st Degree. It is alleged that Frankenberg collected $5,478.50 in Public Assistance Benefits while she was employed at a local restaurant. Frankenberg was arraigned in the Town of Liberty Court and was released pending a future court date.
- A 37-year-old Eldred man* was arrested Nov. 6 and charged with the Class A Misdemeanor of Non Support of a Child. He allegedly owed $39,616 in back child support. He was arraigned in the Town of Liberty Court and committed to the Sullivan County Jail in lieu of $250 bail. Upon being booked into the jail, it was discovered that he was a Fugitive from Justice in the State of Tennessee. The defendant failed to appear in April for sentencing in Rutherford County Court on a charge of Aggravated Felony Assault. On Nov. 8, Burger was rearrested and extradited to Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- Shannon Baker, 24, of the Bronx was arrested on Nov. 28 and charged with the Class E Felony of Welfare Fraud 4th and Class E Felony of Offering a False Instrument for Filing 1st Degree. It is alleged that Baker collected $1,947 in Public Assistance Benefits while she was employed in the State of Connecticut. The investigation also revealed that she was collecting public assistance benefits in Connecticut as well. Baker was picked up by the NYC Sheriffs in the Bronx and turned over to the Task Force. The defendant was arraigned in the Town of Liberty Court and remanded to the Sullivan County Jail on $5,000 bail.
- Irina Prokopenko, 43, of Woodridge was arrested on Dec. 8 and charged with the following felonies: five counts of Possession of a Forged Instrument 1stDegree, six counts of Filing a False Instrument 1st Degree, and one count of Welfare Fraud 3rd Degree. It is alleged that Prokopenko stole $10,002.86 in Public Welfare Benefits by failing to report income that she was receiving from her children’s father. Prokopenko was arraigned in County Court and remanded to the Sullivan County Jail on $10,000 bail. During the course of this investigation, it was discovered that Prokopenko was in the U.S. illegally, and an additional detainer has been lodged at the jail by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- A 54-year-old Liberty woman* was arrested on Dec. 8 and charged with two counts of Misuse of Food Stamps, a Class A Misdemeanor. It is alleged that she used the Electronic Benefits Card of a relative who is in state prison. She was not entitled to use the card, said officials. She was released on an appearance ticket pending her appearance in Town of Liberty Court.
- Autumn Brown, 21, of Monticello was arrested on Dec. 11 and charged with the Class E Felonies of Welfare Fraud 4th and two counts of Offering a False Instrument for Filing 1st Degree. It is alleged that Brown failed to report income that she was receiving from her child’s father. Brown was released on an appearance ticket pending her appearance in Town of Liberty Court. This arrest was the result of a joint investigation between the Sullivan County Welfare Fraud Task Force and the New York State Office of Medicaid Inspector General.
Article From:- https://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com